1. ALWAYS make sure your pets have clean cool water. DO NOT USE ICE COLD WATER.
2. NEVER leave your pets in your vehicle. The interior temperature can climb very quickly.
3. If possible keep your pets in a cool basement or garage during the hot days.
4. Provide shade from the sun and a kiddie pool for them to cool off in.
5. Provide shelter from storms.
6. Remember pavement gets hot; protect your pet's sensitive paw pads. They are also walking parallel and close to the hot pavement. Heat radiates up where your pet receives the full affect.
7. Do not walk or run your pets during mid-day when it is the hottest.
8. Watch for signs of over heating or heat stroke.
- Anxious expression
- Refusal to obey commands
- Warm, dry skin
- High fever
- Rapid heartbeat
Your pets rely on you to care for them. Take every precaution to keep them safe and healthy during the "dog days of summer"